Sunday, January 5, 2014

Let it blow

The arctic blast is predicted to storm in tonight, with temperatures colder than anything we have experienced in 20 years. I swear it used to be colder when I was young. We had snow on the ground for weeks and months at a time. Now we are lucky to see it 3 or 4 times a year, mostly little piddling events that don't even come up to your knees. Last November we had warmer nights than what we used to see during summer days! It would get below freezing for days on end, a week or more at a time during January, February, and even March.

I'm not complaining mind you. It's a whole lot easier on my old bones, this mild weather. Summers are still tolerable here in the Southern Appalachians, as long as we stay on the mountain tops and away from the flatlands. I will likely be gone from this earth before the real global crises begin to set in for good. I shudder to think about my grandchildren though. They may be in for a really rough ride these next few decades.

No comments: